Wednesday 19 December 2012

Books of the Year 2012

 
Since reading my first 'grown up book' at the age of 11, namely 101 Dalmatians, I have loved reading. My boyfriend doesn't understand it. He like many other people I've spoken to about my love of books say they just don't have the time. I find getting lost in a good book is better than watching a film. Books last longer and linger with you after you put them down. Sometimes it's really hard to put them down but you know you must. Then there's the excitement of going home to carry on reading from where you left off.
 
My first favourite book from 2012 is Me Before You. Published on 5th January 2012 I can across it in the spring when doing my weekly shop at Tesco. When I read the back cover I wasn't immediately drawn to it as it was an unlikely love story. But honestly its the best romantic book I've EVER read! I flitted between laughter and tears, and couldn't put it down. For those of you that don't know the story here's the back page for you.. 
...
Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.
What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.
Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.
What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.
...
 
The characters were engaging and believable, the storyline emotional and comedic. It's a book I highly recommend.
 
After reading Me Before You I came across another book by Jojo Moyes The Last Letter from Your Lover. It was published the year before in February 2011. I wouldn't have read this had it not been for Me Before You. I loved Jojo writing style and comedy within the sadness of love. The intertwining stories of modern-day Ellie with 1960's Jennifer confused me to begin with but I soon settled into it and started to enjoy the storyline. I didn't find it as comedic as Me Before You but still it was an absorbing and blissful read. The end has a great twist which I won't spoil for you...
 
 ...
When journalist Ellie looks through her newspaper's archives for a story, she doesn't think she'll find anything of interest. Instead she discovers a letter from 1960, written by a man asking his lover to leave her husband - and Ellie is caught up in the intrigue of a past love affair. Despite, or perhaps because of her own romantic entanglements with a married man.

In 1960, Jennifer wakes up in hospital after a car accident. She can't remember anything - her husband, her friends, who she used to be. And then, when she returns home, she uncovers a hidden letter, and begins to remember the lover she was willing to risk everything for.
...
 
 
 
 
You knew this was coming right? How could I do a book review of 2012 without mentioning Fifty Shades. Yes I read them all and yes I loved them! The Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy was published in 2012 and was met with mixed reviews. It was a love it or hate it book. Women loved it, Men hated it! Haha well wouldn't you if you were the boyfriend of a girl with her nose stuck in an erotic book ;)
 
I admit I started reading them for the naughty stuff and oh my was the first book naughty! The red room of pain was uttered by every woman after reading these books. Husbands and boyfriends around the world are being secretly transformed into Christian Grey by their wives and girlfriends. I sadly got really into these, even the storyline which apparently was drivel?! I really wanted to know what happened next. As soon as I read one book I picked the next up and before I knew it I was lost. My evenings became Fifty Shades and my day to day life stood still. When I put the last book down I picked the first up again! Need I say more? I wouldn't say they were the best book of they year as I've already said above that Me Before You was and is my Favourite book ever but the trilogy was a compelling read and a talking point among many people.
 
...
When literature student Anastasia Steele interviews successful entrepreneur Christian Grey, she finds him very attractive and deeply intimidating. Convinced that their meeting went badly, she tries to put him out of her mind - until he turns up at the store where she works part-time, and invites her out.
Unworldly and innocent, Ana is shocked to find she wants this man. And, when he warns her to keep her distance, it only makes her want him more.
But Grey is tormented by inner demons, and consumed by the need to control. As they embark on a passionate love affair, Ana discovers more about her own desires, as well as the dark secrets Grey keeps hidden away from public view .
...
 
I'd love to hear your thoughts on any of these books I've mentioned. Maybe you have something different which you can add to the mix. I love to discover new books to read :)
 
 
 
 







Follow my blog with Bloglovin   Twitter  Facebook  SheSaidBeauty  Instagram  

2 comments:

  1. I've not read 50 shades!! Think I'm one of the only ones...should get round to it :) and I also love 101 Dalmatians!!

    X

    http://Heidi-likes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas Heidi ❤

      Have you finished your shopping and wrapped all your presents? :) Your not alone, I know many women who haven't read the Fifty Shades Trilogy. Is it through choice or lack of time? I jighly recommend them :)

      Wendy xo

      Delete