Tuesday 5 November 2013

How to HAC

 
 
Last night I posted a before and after shot of my HAC (that's highlight and contour for those of you not in the know) via my Instagram. Many of you asked how I done it and also how I managed to get my brows so thick. I'll do a separate post on my brows. For now I want to focus on HAC-ing.
 
So what is HAC-ing? It's used among many celebrities and applied by their makeup artists. It helps define and accentuate the facial features. Always wanted a slimmer nose? Done! Want higher cheekbones? Easy! Makeup is used to create the illusion of flawless skin. Once you try this you'll be addicted. You will have seen HAC-ing on people like Kim Kardashian and Mila Kunis.
 
 

photos taken from the Daily Mail online
 
This makeup application can take 10 years off you if done right. I've always hated my nose and this technique is like a magic trick for my face. No plastic surgery needed. So the easiest way to show you is with a step by step guide. It takes a lot of practise and I wouldn't expect anyone to wear it on a daily basis. Be warned you will use ALOT of makeup for this look.
 

 
Prep your face with a good primer, I use Smashbox Photo Finish primer (£25)
 
Use any corrective creams you may need and apply your normal foundation. I use MAC Face and Body foundation in N1 (£21.50). I also have to conceal any spots, which I have many of at the moment. Apply highlighter in a 'v' from the corner of your nose to just beyond your eyes. Stay off the side of your nose or you'll make it appear wider. I took mine right up under my eyes as I have terrible baggies. Apply in another 'v' on your forehead and under your mouth. I apply above my lip also to give the appearance of a fuller lip. I mix my own highlighter using L'Oreal Lumi Magique pen (£8) and a very light foundation.
 
Add contour with a dark foundation, 3-4 shades darker than your normal shade. Any darker and you'll be verging on the 'orange' look which isn't flattering and won't blend well. Apply it where ever you want you face to appear slimmer. In my case I want higher cheekbones, smaller chin and nose. Applying it to the outside of the face creates depth.
 
I'm showing you how I've started to blend. The trick is to blend upwards to avoid losing the lines which define your look. 
 
Everything is now blended. It looks slightly darker than my neck due to using colours darker than I normally would to create more definition. I was starting to lose light at this point so finished up my makeup and took the last picture in my conservatory.
 
As you can see my nose looks slimmer and my cheekbones higher. Below is a full product list of the colours used to complete the look.
 
Urban Decay NAKED palette
Benefit They're Real Mascara
Sleek Dip it Eyeliner in black
Sleek Blusher in Pixie Pink
Topshop Lip liner in Fearless
L'Oreal Glam Shine gloss in Fresh Fuchsia
 
 








Image Map

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You make it seem so easy! I will give this a try. Thanks for the post, I've always wanted to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You simply must and share your outcome with me :D xo

      Delete