Sunday 19 January 2014

So you want to be a Makeup Artist



You love makeup, fashion and being a girl. You can often be found taking selfies of your latest look and pouting on your blog having done a lipstick swatch. You even have a vlog reviewing all your favourite brands, from MAC to Illamasqua. You were born with a brush in your hand and their wasn't an inch of your mums makeup bag your hadn't explored as a tweenie. Sounds like you right? Great!

You'll be surprised then to find out that most of the above doesn't apply to me. Yet I'm a Makeup Artist... how can that be? Growing up I didn't know what I wanted to do as a career. I actually thought I had to join the army like my parents and grandparents did. I was relived to find out I had a choice - I could be anything I wanted to be!! I'd love to say I went straight into the beauty industry but my journey has been a long one and still going. What I'm saying is it's ok if you don't know what you want to do aged 16...21..even 40! Some people just have to experience life to find out where they fit before they can settle into a career.
 
Steps to becoming a Makeup Artist
  1. Love working with makeup
  2. Practice on yourself and learn different techniques
  3. Enrol on a Makeup course
  4. Build a portfolio of your best work
  5. Gain experience by assisting other MUAs & by working in the field. This could be on a beauty counter or through an agency.

I became interested in beauty from network marketing. Popping brochures through doors and delivering makeup to customers. During this time I set up a little blog and started reviewing the little makeup I had. I started to learn how to apply makeup from YouTube. I followed Pixiwoo, Klaire de Lys, Tanya Burr but it was when I started to follow the work of Karla Powell I became inspired. I started to see makeup as more than an everyday cover up. Instead I was seeing it as a creative outlet - art. I had no idea where to start though and my face didn't lend itself to selfies (I have thin lips and bad skin). It was time to go back to school.
 
That’s why I began doing makeup in the first place: I was hoping that through helping people see the beauty in themselves, I could try and find it in me. - Kevyn Aucoin

I don't know how I came across Jackie Hamiltons School of Beauty but it was the best course I found in the Norwich area. They have a fab reputation and look after their students even after they leave. I have been back there several times since I qualified to do photoshoots for my portfolio. Since I had no experience I chose the Level 2 Makeup course which is broken up over several weeks and fitted perfectly around my job. The tutor Kerry was very knowledgeable having worked as a makeup artist for Estee Lauder for several years. The class was kept small so we all had individual attention and the other students were of all ages and different backgrounds so I didn't feel out of place being a mature student.
 
Some of the things I learnt while on the course...
 • Airbrushing
Corrective, day, evening, special occasion and bridal make-up application
Understand, explain and demonstrate clients skin type, condition and texture
Cat flicks
Smoky eyes
Understand, explain and demonstrate correct use of cosmetics
Cleanse, tone and moisturise
Skin analysis
Cosmetic science; ingredients in colour cosmetics, creams, oils etc
Understand, explain and recognise skin tones
Understand, explain and recognise face, eye, lip and nose shapes
Consulting and communicating with the client effectively
Skin disorders and diseases
Contraindications
Marketing 
 
You'll never stop learning in this industry. You can even go on and do Level 3 where you'll learn more in-depth techniques and gain portfolio images. I would have loved to stay on but money was tight. Instead I went out to gain experience doing photoshoot makeup and working on beauty counters.
 
“How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone.” 
 
There are many people who practise makeup but don't have a qualification, many girls on beauty counters have never taken a course. It comes down to self-teaching and talent at the end of the day. The reason to gain atleast the Level 2 qualification is to learn about hygiene and skin disorders, what not to do and ofcourse to get connected. We all know that good old saying, "It's not WHAT you know but WHO you know". You will learn much more from going out there and experiencing the industry. This school has been my starting point and I'm so thankful for the lessons I learnt.
So if you think being a Makeup Artist is for you do your research and check out courses within your budget but most of all that the course covers what you want to learn. Practise on your family and friends, it's so different applying makeup to another person. Here's a little secret ... I hate wearing makeup o_O but at the same time I love makeup! I just love applying it to other people and that's why I'm a Makeup Artist.


This post was for Elly who emailed me about becoming a Makeup Artist and ofcourse anyone who isn't yet sure what their path in life is. I hope this helps you ALL!!
 
An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision. - James Whistler

Hugs 'n' Kisses
oX Wendy Xo
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I wish you lots of luck with your job!
    I was thinking about taking a class too, but for now its waaay too expensive :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dimana! I was working on minimum wage when a joined. I paid in instalments otherwise I'd never had been able to do it. So worth it ^=^ xo

      Delete
  2. I have just started a beauty therapy lvl 2 course at Jackie Hamiltons. I was drifting through life having started 2 uni courses and finding they weren't for me. I found this post really helpful as I want to look into make up artistry as my path. Any more tips or advice for getting out there would be totally appreciated!
    Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete